"Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love."
Mother Teresa

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Salem's Ready

This is just a quick update on my poor old sick kitty, Salem.



We are doing insulin with little difference for 24 hours now.  I have to coax and syringe food and liquids into him.   He will lick at canned cat food or even tuna but most of it stays in the bowl.  He can barely walk.  He lays in his litter box for hours if I let him.  I spent some time just watching him today....I think he is sad and miserable.  He doesn't seem to be in pain but I think he is telling me it's time to go.

So I have been pondering that all afternoon and had just reached a decision to call the Vet in the morning and set up an appointment.  About 20 minutes later the phone rang.  It was our Vet checking to see how he was.  We had a discussion about his lack of improvement and the decision has been made.  We are having him put down on Friday at 11:30.

I feel at peace with this decision....it is time, and I don't want to put him through anymore.  I know in my heart that it is best for him.  

It is best for me too.  I have been agonizing about this for days and haven't been able to focus on much of anything.

And so it goes.....

Til next time,
Peace

8 comments:

  1. Marilyn, I am just so sorry for you and your kitty Salem. That decision is always such an agonizing one to have to make. You and your family will be in my prayers. Lots of love and cuddles from me to Salem and even more for you my friend. Always know that you're doing what is best for him.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry. We have had to make the same decision for a family pet. It is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sad decision to have to make. Even when it is for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very sad, hard decision to make but you know it's right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so very sorry about Salem. Even though you know it's the right thing to do, it doesn't make it any easier. I know your heart is hurting. Love & hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying out my window now to St. Francis for you both. It is so hard

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about Salem.Stop by your library and get the book Cat Heaven by Cynthia Rylant (children's section), and hopefully you'll feel better. Big hugs, that's a tough decision even when it's the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sad to read about your dear little Salem. My cat Pumpkin had diabetes and after nine months of being on insulin, one day it no longer worked. We came to the same decision as you. My prayers are with you during this sad time.

    ReplyDelete