"Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love."
Mother Teresa

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Treasures and Memories

There's nothing happening here.  Its a very quiet Sunday for us and I plan to spend much of it knitting.

I decided to show you a couple things in my house that I treasure.  Nothing is very valuable (that I know of).  So if you see something that is a genuine something-or-other and worth $$$$, speak up will you please?!


This little girl is a planter.   She sat on the windowsill in my mom's kitchen for as long as I can remember.   There was always a little plant growing in it.  It might have been some type of herb, but I'm not sure.  I keep her on my kitchen counter top next to the sink and she holds a dish scrubbie.  Every time I look at her I feel happy.  It takes me back to childhood and sitting in my mom's kitchen.  It was a warm, welcoming place....and always something yummy cooking.
I have no idea where my mom got it or how old it is.  There are no markings on it anywhere.  

Here is another treasure I found in the back of a cupboard after my mom passed.


I'm sorry it is upside down!!!  I cannot figure out how to rotate it, at least not from my tablet.  I could go to my desk computer and try, but let's just imagine it right side up for now, ok?

My mom made this.  I think it may be aluminum.  It isn't heavy.  It is a small tray about 12 inches in diameter.  The edges of it have been crimped up, a little like a pie.  It is a rose, upside down (sigh) and I believe it was etched on with some type of chemical.  They placed a stencil on the tray to cover the parts they wanted to stay shiny.  The dull, etched part feels slightly rough.  I could be wrong about the chemical.  I suppose it could have been done with some type of abrasive.  

I keep this on my counter top in the kitchen and it holds mail and bills and odds and ends.
I think of my mom everyday and miss her, but having some of these things brings back good memories and keeps her close.  She taught me to be kind and to forgive...she was a great role model.

I wish she had taught me to cook!!!  She was a fabulous cook and there was always something good in her kitchen.

I'm going to leave you with one of her recipes......

HEATH BAR COFFEE CAKE

Combine: 
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 lb. Butter
Mix together til crumbly.  Reserve 1 cup

Combine:
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
Dash of salt
Add above to sugar mixture.  Put in 9x13 pan.

Sprinkle with reserved topping mixture.  Crush 6 Heath candy bars, add 1/2 cup chopped nuts and sprinkle on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.  

I may have to try making this.  No wonder it's good.....cups of sugar and 1/4 Lb. of butter (is that 1 stick? sounds like alot).
She made this often and it was very yummy.  I think you could use toffee bits instead of the Heath bars. 
Let me know how it turns out if you make it.

Til next time
Peace

11 comments:

  1. That cake does sound yummy. I could have used this recipe yesterday as it was our turn to bring treats for choir. Memories are good to have, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother didn't teach me how to cook either but that's mainly because we didn't get on and avoided being in the same room alone ! You are so lucky to have those warm loving memories and it was really nice sharing them with you ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my memories....thanks for stopping by. Hugs

      Delete
  3. the things that are worth the most to you are often not worth a lot of money; but having them in your possession is priceless.

    The cake does sound good, but don't know what a Heath Bar is, we can't have them in Canada?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gill....Heath bars are a chocolate covered toffee candy. You could use anything similar. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Lovely treasures my friend.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mum was very talented to be able to make that lovely tray. I miss my mum too - she died 21 years ago and I still think about her all the time. I have lots of her things still - just bits and pieces - and it's lovely to have them. I have recipes that she gave me, written by hand and I still use them. Your recipe looks good. I checked and a stick of butter is a 1/4 pound - I didn't know that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of recipes from my mom too. I really need to go through them and pass some of them on to my daughter. I'm glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  6. Oh Heath bars...... toffee.. .so wonderful to think of. I love your mom's kitchen planter. My mom has no memory now, and I miss her even though she is here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kathy. It must be very difficult to lose your mom bit by bit. Hugs

      Delete