"Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love."
Mother Teresa

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Spending Less

Retirement has its perks, but $$$ isn't one of them.  It calls for some budgeting and frugality for us.
Hubby and I made a good income when we worked and we spent pretty freely. Retirement seemed like a far-off dream.  We really should have planned better.  We did put money into a 401k account, but we could have saved more.  We also used credit cards quite liberally.....why not, we could pay the bills...at least the minimum. It took us years to figure out that was a bad idea.  We spent the last 5 years before retirement getting out of credit card debt...Yay us!
And then guess what?  We turned right around and started charging again.  We have a new game plan now.  Pay cash!  Pretty radical, right?
It is really hard for Hubby.  He is more impulsive than me.  He seems to have more difficulty with the difference between a "want" and a "need".  That is my new mantra when I go shopping.
Today I stopped at Joann's for a size knitting needle that I need (um.. want?).  That's all, but OH!... the yarn was calling my name.  I fondled it, I even smelled it.  I walked away and walked back again.  But I was strong....I escaped from the store with only my knitting needles.
Then I stopped at the dollar store for a few things.  I picked things up, and I put them back down.  I stuck to my list.  I got the Easter napkins I needed and the artificial tears eye drops, and the shampoo I needed for a dollar each.  These could easily cost several times that amount at the supermarket.  These sound like such small things, but it all adds up.
Tomorrow I will take stock of the food I have in my pantry and plan a weekly menu. I have much to learn about cooking frugally but I am working on it.  That's a post for another time.

I am excited to find I have 2 followers.  Thank you and welcome to Fourmi at Frugal in France, and Gillian at hookin' A yarn.  

'Til next time,
Peace

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey? My husband and I have taught his Dinancial Peace class for years now. Not to say we're wealthy at all, but we pay cash for everything unless it's something bought online. Money management is a hard lesson to learn and I still struggle with the "I wants" too. It is frustrating sometimes. Good for you in watching the pennies.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have heard of Dave Ramsey....very wise advice. I did take a class through my employer that was similar, although no Dave Ramsey, and it worked well to get us out of debt. Time to buckle down and do it again.

    ReplyDelete